The History Of The Coshocton Fire Department
On February 14, 1906, the Coshocton City Council took action for a modern fire department.
On March 14, 1906, Coshocton City Council made the decision to purchase the George Senft property at the intersection of 8th and Walnut Streets. The cost was $3000.
On June 12, 1906, Council passed an ordinance that assured a complete fire system, to include:complete building, alarm system and equipment.
On November 21, 1907, the first paid firefighters for the City of Coshocton were hired.
This is how the Walnut Street Fire Station looked when it was built.
Harry Fink resigned as chief in 1910 and James Tracewell took over. This is a photo after Chief Tracewell took over as Chief, the photo in the circle is Chief Tracewell.
Gamewell Fire Alarm System
Fire alarm boxes were placed on poles at intersections around Coshocton.
The box had instructions to break the glass and turn the key to open the box and pull down on the hook once.
The Men Who Have Served As Chief
Coshocton’s First Fire Chief Harry W. Fink 11/21/1907 – 10/31/1910 (No Photo Available, if anyone has a photo of Harry Fink, please contact us)
Chief James Tracewell
11/01/1910 – 3/31/1935
Chief William "Billy" West
04/01/1935 - 03/14/1948
Chief Walter Weaver
03/14/1948 - 11/10/1963
Chief Richard D. Farver
11/10/1963 - 11/01/1980
Chief Charles A Turner Jr.
11/01/1980 - 01/10/2004
The current Fire Chief is Michael L. Layton.